The Church of the Annunziata
In a slightly lower section of the town in Via Annunziata, is the Chiesa dell’Annunziata. The church was built by the Minutilli family in the early 1300’s. It was constructed outside the old town walls and is Neo-Gothic in style. It has a tall domed bell tower an arched facade. Over the years the church had undergone several renovations. It was damaged by the Turks in 1552, by Franco-Polish troops in 1799, by a fire in 1888 and also during the conflict of the Second World War.
During some restoration work in 1932 all the Baroque decorations were removed revealing some ancient frescoes of angelic musicians by Maso Di Banco of Florence, which were executed between 1340 to 1343. The apse is decorated with a beautiful ancient fresco of the Crucifixion which dates from 1333. This is thought to have been painted by Giotto. There is also some work by one of his pupils, Roberto D’Oderisio of Naples. Other artistic works include an oil painting of the Madonna with Child and Dominican saints, executed by Francesco Curia in 1580. The Virgin and Child between Santa Lucia and Santa Caterina was painted in 1540 by the artist Giovanni Filippo Crisciuolo.
There are other artistic works which include a painting of the Madonna and Child and Domenican Saints by Francesco Curia (1580), the Virgin and Child between Santa Lucia and Santa Caterina, which was painted in 1540 by the artist Giovanni Filippo Crisciuolo. There is also a wooden relief carving of the Annunziation by Pietro Fedele.