The Church of San Pietr0
The Church of San Pietro is located in the heart of the historic centre of the town. It was founded in the 9th century by Pope Leo III and is dedicated to San Pietro Apostolo. The church was once a cathedral and has undergone several alterations and renovations over the ages and it was enlarged during the 17th century. From a small square in front of the church a wide stone staircase leads up to the porch which has four arches.
The Bell Tower and Portico of the Church of San Pietro
The church of San Pietro is a bell tower of three stories with mullion windows supported by Corinthian columns. Indeed, numerous Roman columns and capitals were incorporated into the structure of the church during its construction. These probably were most likely sourced from the ruins of the old Roman town of Minturnae.
The Dome of San Pietro
There is a small dome over one of the chapels which is covered in blue yellow and green majolica tiles.
The Interior of the Church of San Pietro
The interior of the Church of San Pietro has three naves and is richly decorated and contains some ancient frescoes. One dates from the 13th century and depicts the Madonna delle Grazie. Another located behind the altar dates from the 5th century and represents the Madonna delle Neve.
The central nave is covered with a wooden ceiling or caisson. The Capella del Sacramento (1587) has a painting of the Last Supper which is attributed to the school of Andrea da Salerno. The chapel is richly decorated in an ornate Baroque style with multicoloured marble and gilded plasterwork. There is also a chapel dedicated to the Santissima Maria delle Grazie.
A small door behind the back wall of the choir leads to the 14th-century Church of the Congrega del Santissimo Rosario, which has some 18th century paintings depicting scenes of the life of San Filippo Neri. These have been attributed to the Napoletan artist Francesco de Mura, who was also sometimes known as Franceschiello. Below here there is a crypt which dates from the 14th century. There is a large vaulted area with several rectangular burial tombs on either side.
The Paschal Candlestick and Cosmati Mosaics
The 13th century pulpit is supported by six carved stone pillars which each have different capitals. The pulpit and is intricately embellished with Cosmati mosaic work in a Moorish geometric style. On the sides of the pulpit’s steps there are stone carvings depicting the story of Jonah and the Whale and the coat of arms of Minturno. Closeby there is a Paschal candlestick which is also finely decorated in mosaics. This dates from 1264.
The Madonna Immacolata
The Feast Day of the Immacolata is celebrated on the 8th December.
The Church of San Biagio
Not far from the Church of San Pietro is the ex-Church of San Biagio, located along Corso Vittorio Emanuele.