Sperlonga History and Saracen Invaders
In Sperlonga’s old historic centre there is a pretty little courtyard with a old well. Here there are some interesting murals depicting Sperlonga’s turbulent history when it was plagued by Saracen invaders and pirates. Going back in time the peasants and fishermen of Sperlonga lived down by the beach or on the plain. However from the 9th century onwards Sperlonga found itself under constant threat from Saracen raids. So the local people moved to higher terrain, and created a town on the rocky promontory of Colle San Magno. This new settlement became protected by a castle and fortified walls which had two gateways, namely La Portella and Porta Marina.
The Ottoman Pirate Kayr al-Din Also Known As Red Beard or Barbarossa
In 1524 the notorious ottoman pirate Khayr al-
In 1622 history repeated itself and Sperlonga once again was razed to the ground by Turkish pirates. The town of Sperlonga was rebuilt with narrow streets and long winding stairways, designed to confuse invaders, making their incursions more problematic.
Numerous watchtowers were built along the coast to form a defence system. Those that still survive are Torre Centrale, Torre del Nibbio, Torre Truglia, Torre Capovento, Torre Sant’ Agostino, Torre Viola, and Torre d’Orlando.
Come and Join Our Facebook Group - We Love Beautiful South Lazio
* Public domain image
All other photos on this page © Louise Shapcott